Enter your email address to read this Happiness blog from your email inbox:

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lessons of happiness from birds

One day Ratilal, the richest man in the village, asked his accountant, “Can you give me an approximate idea of my savings?”

“Let me see. After calculating all your investments and interest, I can tell you that you have enough savings such that your next three generations can live happily,” answered the accountant.

With some grave impressions on his face, he grumbled, “In that case, how is my fourth generation going to survive?” He started remaining worried. One day, his close friend Harichand, a kind and spiritual soul, visited him. When he revealed the cause of his worries to his friend, Harichand started laughing and then sang of the Saint Kabir’s verse:

Hindi: [Chinta aisi dakini, liya kaleja khai;
Vaidya bichara kya kare, kahaa tak dawa khilaye]

Translation : Worry is such a thug, who consume the heart;
What can the poor physician do; for how long can he administer drugs?

Harichand continued, “My friend, I can think of only one way that can help in alleviating your plight. Without charity and donations, you cannot become free of your greed. You should get up early in the morning and give a bag of rice to the Yogi, who lives on the banks of the river, just outside the village.”

Next day, Ratilal visited the Yogi early in the morning as suggested by his friend. The Yogi was sitting in meditative pose under the tree.

“Here, I brought this bag of rice for you,” said Ratilal in somewhat harsh tone.

“Sir, I already have food for today. So, please give it to some other needy one.”

“How does that matter. You can keep it for tomorrow,” argued Ratilal.

“One, who has provided me today, will also send some holy soul like yours, tomorrow as well. Why should I try to accumulate for tomorrow? Why should I spoil my today while trying to secure my tomorrow?”

Ratilal looked at the smiling face of the Yogi that was emanating peace and hope. Ratilal said politely, “Sir, please allow me to sit here, in your presence for some time. I am feeling peace here in your company.”

When the Yogi allowed him to sit, he poured his heart out and told him about all his worries. Hearing his plight, the Yogi smiled and said, “Son, the one who has provided for your hundred of previous generations, will also provide for your next hundred generations. The only difference between you and me is that you rely on your belongings in this ever changing world and I rely on my all prevalent, never changing Supreme Consciousness.”

After a brief pause, the Yogi continued, “Look at these birds, who remain worry-less, without bothering about tomorrow. Birds never try to hoard anything for tomorrow. Learn from the birds to live in the present and to sing the songs of gratitude all the time.”

After listening to the words of wisdom, Ratilal felt somewhat relieved of his worries. He started visiting the Yogi quite often and in this way, he became truly rich after finding the treasure of inner peace and inner happiness.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete